Pages

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Salsa Verde Cruda

I've grown and sold tomatillos at every farm where I've worked.  They're one of many vegetables that I had only the vaguest knowledge of before I started farming, and they're one of many vegetables that I've since become very fond of.  Tomatillos are fairly unknown in this part of the country; they look like decorative paper lanterns, but they're a distant relative of tomatoes, and have a fruity, sweet-tart taste that is less acidic than a tomato (they're more closely related to ground cherries or husk cherries, which I remember seeing in my great-aunt's garden in Indiana when I was a kid).  Tomatillos are common in Mexican cuisine, and they make a superlative salsa.  "Cruda" means raw; this salsa requires no cooking whatsoever, making it perfect for hot summer weather.  

Tomatillos

SALSA VERDE CRUDA  
{Tomatillo Salsa}
from the Smitten Kitchen

makes about 2 cups

1 pint tomatillos, husked and well washed, quartered (about 10)
1/2 bunch of scallions, roots and green ends trimmed, cut into big segements
5 garlic cloves, smashed
2 jalapenos, roughly chopped (remove seeds and ribs for less heat)
Pinch of allspice
Salt to taste

Puree all ingredients together until very smooth either in a blender or food processor. Season with salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment